Backstage is the place to be if you’re interested in beauty and fashion! This season, The Advice Sisters had the opportunity as an Aveeno Brand Ambassador, to visit with Celebrity Hair Stylist Patrick Melville, and with the makeup artist at Lancome, to check out Monika Chiang’s dramatic Fall and Winter 2013 beauty looks prior to the presentation in The Box at the Fashion Week Lincoln Center Tents.
BIG, HOT, EDGY HAIR! Patrick Melville was all business, and very busy at work when I arrived at the bustling backstage area. He was creating edgy “”fauxHawk” hair using Aveeno products, but primarily Aveeno dry shampoo for texture and hold. Remember those big clips with lots of teeth that you wore for “big hair” in the 80′s? Now you have another use for them. Melville used one of these large clips to create the FauxHawk. After adding the Aveeno dry shampoo to sections of the model’s hair, he skillfully (and quickly, I might add) back-combed the hair in the middle and sides to a huge pouf. Then he collected it all in his hands, smoothed it out, adding the clip and more securing hairpins. At first I thought this dramatic look would be something you might approximate at home, but as I watched Patrick work I realized you really need an extra set of hands, not to mention, talent with hair!
“One of the things I just love about dry shampoo is how versatile it is as a styling tool,” commented Patrick. “For the Monika Chiang show, I applied the AVEENO® Dry Shampoo to the root of the hair to create the texture and lift you see at the crown.” You might not be able to fabricate the FauxHawk so easily at home, but you certainly can use Aveeno Dry Shampoo for your own styling purposes, and to keep your hair looking fresh for at least another day!
If you do want to try the FauxHawk at home (or ask your stylist for it), here are the steps:
- Wet the hair down with water, add a little volume spray at the root and apply a small amount of styling glaze; blow dry hair with a paddle brush to help create shine
- Next flat iron hair straight and apply AVEENO® PURE RENEWAL Dry Shampoo to root to create texture and lift; next use a tall comb and tease the root
- Take a paddle brush and smooth over hair for additional shine, your hair will still have a lot of volume up top
- Finally, take a banana clip from the back of the head and tie it to create a faux hawk, hair on the side will be sleek where hair on the crown will have volume
- Tease the hair coming out of the banana clip to create texture, spray a bit more dry shampoo at the end of the hair to create some separation to finish the look
Makeup: Lancome national makeup artists Terek Abbas, Darias and Alex Sanchez, created the unique makeup look for Monika Chiang. The look focused heavily on smoky eyes and a pale lip, with a surprise! Each model had a patch/tattoo created from genuine lace on her face. If you want to do this look at home, you can also lightly dust a dark shadow on a piece of lace held firm to your face (for the dusting). Be careful though, because this look takes quite a bit of patience and skill. If you rush it, you might look like you got dirt on your face!
Did you enjoy this feature? Please leave a comment (spam will immediately be deleted) in the comments section below, or contact The Advice Sisters by Email You can also Subscribe to The Advicesisters.net Feed, follow me (Alison Blackman, aka. “Advice Sister Alison” on Twitter @advicesisters; on Facebook; and also on Pinterest. If you would like to learn more about my work, you can also visit my personal web site and subscribe to my National Beauty and National Luxury Lifestyles columns on the Examiner.com. Thank you for your interest and your support.